Eugene Spence is a licensed acupuncturist registered by the Virginia Board of Medicine. Eugene is also a NCCAOM (National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine) Diplomat in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
I was born into the world of medicine. My father practiced pediatric medicine in his office, which was the converted garage of our house. I grew up surrounded by the sights, smells, and sounds of medicine and the healing craft.
After my college years, I went on to become a medical radiographer, a career that lasted over ten years. I then graduated to Shiatsu massage, a Japanese pressure therapy based on Oriental medical theory, not unlike that of Acupuncture. After five years of this practice I took the next logical step and enrolled in the well-known New England School of Acupuncture. I have now been a practicing licensed acupuncturist for more than 13 years.
I chose the field of acupuncture because it is an essential component of any holistic health care approach. Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine are, by their very nature, holistic and can be used as an adjunctive therapy with any other standard or alternative medical therapy. Its benefits are:
- Chinese Medicine diagnosis has as its fundamental aim to see the patient as a individual entity rather than a one size fits all syndrome.
- It has at its disposal many treatment modalities ex. needles, herbs, heat, cupping, electro stim, chinese massage etc.
- Acupuncture aims to balance the entire human system, thereby insuring that other treatment modalities achieve optimal effectiveness.
- Acupuncture can help with quelling the side effects from other treatment modalities.
- Chinese Medicine diagnostics can help to pinpoint patient lifestyle behavior that may be at the root of patients pathology ex. diet, environment, sleep patterns, stress, etc.
- Acupuncture has been shown to be effective in treating mental and emotional issues.
- Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine have been very effective in treating a wide variety of women’s issues, including menstrual problems, prenatal and post natal care, menopausal issues and fertility matters.
- Acupuncture is wonderful at treating chronic and acute pain by reaching the source of the pain and enhancing the healing process to speed up the time of recovery
- Acupuncture helps to reduce patients use of medications and can help with drug side effects.
- Acupuncture can be used in a drug and alcohol addiction treatment programs.
Chinese Medicine is a wholistic approach to health and therefore all of the elements of healing and healthy living are taken into consideration when formulating a treatment plan for my patients. So besides acupuncture and herbs we consider things like exercise, sleep, stress levels, mental state and diet. I have learned in my many years as a healer that when i am treating chronic conditions I can be giving great acupuncture treatments and if the other elements of healthy lifestyle are out of balance, the patient will feel better for a time and then revert right back to the same condition. . One cannot have a fire be put out by by a fireman and then put wood back on the embers and not expect the fire to come roaring back. For this reason I offer optional healthy living guidance for those patients who are interested in taking there healing process to the next level. I will look at your pattern of imbalance and then taylor lifestyle changes to specific needs.
I have studied for 5 years under the master acupuncturist, herbalist and dietary therapist Paul Pitchford, author of Healing with Whole foods (healingwithwholefoods.com). His approach is to taylor a diet to the specific needs of the patient according to there Chinese medical diagnosis. He insists that diets that espouse a one size fits all cannot take into consideration all of the multitude of variables that present themselves differently from person to person. This is a common sense approach to dietary therapy that is sensitive to specific imbalances and pathologies in each patient. Eating in a way that is specific to your needs can open one up to a new feeling of vitality and healthy balance that you never knew was possible.